Updated March 21, 2023 at 8:02 am
The Facility is a private, non-commercial “Clubhouse” for Ruffnecks to hit and throw. It is used for the personal hitting routines of Ruffnecks players and to conduct Team Hitting sessions during the winter, spring and summer seasons. The Facility is an integral part of our culture and program. Players may come and go as they please. Occasionally, the Facility is available to local community youth groups. It is important to check the Announcements on the home page and the schedule on this page to be sure there is not a TEAM session. The Lounge is usually open and available for relaxation. Parents should feel comfortable working or relaxing in the Lounge. When hitters of varying ages are in the cages at the same time, older Ruffnecks should help younger ones. Ruffnecks should invite other Ruffnecks to join hitting groups when the Facility gets busy. Tunnels can accommodate 3-4 hitters. Help each other. Ruffnecks coaches may occasionally instruct non-Ruffnecks at The Facility or be there to work with current Ruffnecks. Outsiders do NOT have access to the cages unless approved for personal instruction. High school teammates are NOT permitted. The Ruffnecks Hitting Facility is a WOOD BAT ONLY facility for hitters. Siblings of Ruffnecks are permitted to hit at the Facility.
Facility Hours: Week of March 20 – March 26
The Facility is available for Open Hitting starting at approximately 1:30 daily. We encourage Ruffnecks to use the Facility as much as they wish. 13U and 14U Team Hitting sessions may be moved to the Facility Thursdays, Saturdays, or Sundays during March. Open Hitting hours are posted. Please note that on MONDAYS during March the Facility closes to Ruffnecks at 5:30pm for Needham Youth Baseball.
- Monday, March 20: Needham Youth Night
- Ruffnecks Open Hitting 1:30pm to 5:30pm
- Tuesday, March 21 thru Friday March 24
- Facility Hours Open at 1:30pm
- Thursday, March 23
- 5:00 to 8:00pm 13u/14u Team Hitting at Facility
- Saturday, March 25: Open Hitting
- Sunday, March 26: Open Hitting
The Club has expectations for the use, safety, and shared responsibility of The Facility. We ask players and families to review these expectations and guidelines.
- Expectation #1: The Ruffneck Rule. Uniform appearance. Players must wear approved Ruffnecks gear:
- Ruffnecks cap, shirt or sweatshirt.
- Gray baseball pants or Ruffnecks sweats/shorts
- Expectation #2: Safety. Players do not need a helmet for hitting, tee work, or soft toss. We do not permit side toss unless conducted by a coach. Helmets ARE REQUIRED for the following:
- Players sitting behind the screen doing Front Toss (the tosser).
- Hitters facing live pitching from anyone other than a coach.
- Expectation #3: Respect the Facility. Clean up after yourself and others. Always pick up the baseballs and put things back in the proper order. What does this mean?
- Balls go into buckets. If you are the last one (or with a group) buckets go on home plate.
- L-Screens are put neatly back where they belong. There will be markings.
- Clean up water bottles, tape, etc. Whether it is yours or not!
Guidelines for Use
Please monitor the Guidelines and potential changes on this page. Check the calendar on the dropdown bar for hours, group schedules, and any special closures. We recommend always checking the website before heading to the Facility. The Facility is intended to be used by players with other players. It is a players and coaches Facility. A few guidelines for usage follow:
- The Facility is open most of the time. Hours are posted on the calendar. It will not always be staffed. Security cameras are in place.
- Sign IN: Players must sign IN and sign OUT. Time & Date.
- Exception: Players do NOT need to sign in for TEAM sessions or clinics.
- Parents are NOT to throw or toss to their own kids except under the following conditions with the understanding that the parent and player must yield the tunnel if both the other tunnels are in use or others wish to use a tunnel:
- No one else is in the Facility or waiting to use a cage.
- The parent is willing to throw (with staff approval) to groups of players.
- Covid Protocols: We continue to follow CDC and Commonwealth guidelines.
- Review the Covid information, links, and updates via the dropdown on the Ruffnecks website.
- Player Lounge & Indoor congregating: The Lounge is clean and comfortable. Keep it that way. Observation space for parents and spectators is limited. Non-participants are not permitted to roam along the side of nets. During 13U & 14U Team hitting sessions parents may congregate in the Player’s Lounge.